My name is Clare Collins I joined Alton Lions Club in 2018
When I moved to Alton in 2017, having lived most of my life in Surrey, I knew I wanted to get more involved in community events and make new friends. My uncle, who has been a Guildford Lion for many years, would often talk about the work the Lions do, but I wondered whether it was really for me…especially as I still work four days a week for an international children’s charity and didn’t know whether this would impact on the time I could give to the Alton Lions. I didn’t need to worry as when I went to my first meeting, I was told that the Lions ethos is “Family and Work first”!
At the end of this year, I will celebrate my one-year anniversary with the Alton Lions and I can honestly say the last year has flown by. In terms of time spent, and outside of the monthly business meetings and one committee meeting per month, I have been involved in various Lions activities and events including:
- The monthly Craft Markets in the High Street (which run from March to December)
- The Party in the Park in June
- Marshalling at the 10 Mile Road Race and also the Downland Challenge in May & October
- Paulton’s Park Family Day in May
- Supporting the Prostate Cancer Screening event at Alton Community Centre in October
It’s not all work and no play though, as from a social perspective, we enjoy trips to the theatre, pub nights, and other social gatherings, so for me, it has been a win-win…learning more about my community and making lots of friends in the process!